Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Google+ a failure?

I’m sure all of you have heard of Google+ and some of you may use it. Latest research from the firm comScore shows that Google+ is a failure as many predicted. Google+ has many other social media sites to compete with such as MySpace, Twitter, and facebook. Research from Google shows that there has been a significant increase in Google+ users, but the amount of time users are spending on Google+ is rapidly declining. The average time a Google+ user is signed in is 3 minutes, in comparison to the average facebook user whom is signed in for 405 minutes. People are basically creating Google+ accounts and not using them. Google+ has many of the same options as other social media sites. Google+ has “circles” in which friends, family, and others can share information within the circle. Google+ offers instant upload, instant messenger, games, and a search option. Although Google+ offers a unique interface, many social media users are still using facebook as a main source. Another big mistake Google made was at the launch of Google+. Google introduced Google+ with the intention to have special pages for businesses but did not create them in time for the launch. Businesses were asked to wait to create an account and I think this was a turn off to many businesses. Google should have introduced the businesses pages at the official launch rather than waiting. Regardless, I think other sites such as facebook will dominate the social media environment.

2 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that you brought up the idea of Google+ because there was this kid on my floor who kept trying to tell me that Google+ is the next big thing. Thanks to you, I am able to show him this so I do not have to listen to him talk about it. However, it is true that it is a failure and it is a failure because there are so many other social medias like you mentioned that pretty much have everything that Google+ would have. As well, many of us do not like change from things that we are used to, so changing over to Google+ would need us to learn something new when we have Facebook which we do not have to learn anything new for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Google+ isn't all that they thought it was going to be. As much as Google would like to, I can't see them beating out Facebook or Twitter. A few of my friends got a Google+ account. They told me about it once a few months ago. That was the last I've heard about it because they don't ever use it anymore. I think they got an account just because they heard it was going to be the next big thing and it never took off like Google had planned.

    ReplyDelete